I don't think you can blame Rails 6 for that. It is a weird default, but it
is like that from the very beginning.
I never use the method, so, I guess, it can be considered as somewhat
obscure. It seems to appear in Rails version 5.1 and no change since.
Normally, I would use ActiveModel for a local form. Just in case you don't
know, ActiveModel can also be used independently from ActiveRecord.

This is the earliest docs I found.
https://api.rubyonrails.org/v5.1/classes/ActionView/Helpers/FormHelper.html#method-i-form_with

Guess someone already complained, but it is too late; there is no good
reason to introduces breaking changes for a better default.
Also, in a sense, this can be the better default, since ActiveModel is
there for you to build a form for the same app.