It seems reasonable to have sort-of blackout periods, so long as it is clear to
everyone when they are.  Without intending criticism of
anyone in the planning of the convention, I was not really clear what was going
on when, and what effect that would have on the rest
of the program.  In my case, because of other commitments I planned on driving
up for a single day (and the conundrum that I was too close at four hours'
drive NOT to try to come yet not so close as to be able to drive up more than
once but unable to either stay the whole convention).
As it happens, I seem to have picked the worst day for a single visit, when
almost everyone was off on the fan trip (I couldn't even find anyone to pay a
single day registration to, as I had planned).  The eight-hour round trip
wasn't entirely a disaster, however, as I did meet a few S scalers I'd known
only from this list and I find a better selection of kits and other odds and
ends than I've managed either from ebay or fellow list members.  It just wasn't
quite what I'd expected--although perhaps I just didn't grasp what the website
was telling me.

I am not really a convention regular in any of the aspects of the hobby with
only sporadic attendance at any, but generally it has seemed to me that clinics
and sales are usually during the day, with plenty of opportunity to use both,
with layout tours in the evening afterward (or on Sunday when most of the other
activities are pretty well finished), and any prototype tours/fan trips as
options at times other than the days for sales and clinics.  It did seem that
much of this years' NASG was about scenic Duluth, but I have no benchmark with
which to compare it, whether other NASG's are more like the other rail
conventions I've encountered.

I am thinking about the Chicago fall show, which may be more like what I
expected (and more like the Chicago March O scale show).

Jace Kahn

General Manager
Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

> > There were also two vendors who had a good selection of AF inventory,
> > but there seemed to be a low level of AF activity at this convention.
> > In general, there was a reduced presence of S vendors at this S
> > convention.  Michigan Models, PortLines Hobbies, American Models, BTS,
> > and DesPlaines Hobbies were all absent.  And the vendors there were less
> > than happy about the lack of visitors present during rail tours.  I am
> > sure BOT (and convention planners) has addressed this issue before, but
> > closing the vendor room during the day to allow vendors to join us on
> > tours, with the vendor room open before/after tours, would seem an
> > equitable solution to this problem. <skip>
> > > Jay Mellon

> Jay:
> I can't speak for all who weren't in Duluth (I think they missed a great
> event!) but I do know Doug Peck (Port Able) stayed home because his wife
> recently had surgery.  Otherwise Doug said, he would have been there.  Ron at
> Des Plaines has sort of taken the year off from displaying.  He attended
> several events as a "plain old member" but did not display ay NMRA, O/S West
> and NASG.  I heard that he will probably be more active next year.  He was
> hoping to cajole a friend with an aircraft to fly to Duluth for a day trip,
> but that did not come together.  At least in those two cases attendance was a
> personal choice, not based on the convention site or circumstances...
>
> The issue about "trade room" hours has been around for years with plenty of
> passion on both sides.  I'll be very honest; I sympathize with the vendors,
> having been on that side for years.  I believe that most attendees will spend
> the same amount of money with the manufacturers whether the "trade room" is
> open for 8 hours or 38 hours!  Why not close close and let vendors experience
> the whole convention...?  That certainly isn't meant as a criticism of Duluth
> - I'm not sure it is an issue that will ever be completely resolved.
>
> Jim Kindraka

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: