On 9/3/07, Bill Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I tried to build LiDIA so I could do some timings. But it just doesn't
> build. It's a standard Opteron machine with G++ and GMP on it. I'm
> just doing a standard build, but it complains in ring_matrix.h that
> some function is missing.

The last time I built LiDIA was maybe 1999, and it wasn't too hard, though
it took a long time. Justin Walker used to also frequently build LiDIA back
then.

One issue with LiDIA is that I think -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- that
it still officially has a non-GPL compatible license.  There was a mailing
list post from somebody several months ago that they
would GPL LiDIA, but I don't know if that person actually owned the copyright,
or if the university would allow it, or if anything actually came of it.
If not, it would be great is somebody who remembers could track this
down or email again to bug them.

Having some benchmarks comparing PARI and Magma will be really useful.
But for now I'm mainly worried about even having some part of the
*functionality*
of Magma in algebraic number theory, since presently we are even way way
behind there.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics