Hi,

In my efforts to get sage in Gentoo I came on something that looks
like a problem in gmp 4.2.2.
On Gentoo gmp 4.2.2 is marked stable and is part of the system (needed
by gcc). On the ground
that the only patch relevant to me was the new fast gcd code and that
it was a performance patch
and not a correctness one, I decided to use my system gmp (along with
bzip2, readline, mpfr,gd,
pari [mistake since the Galois data are not included in Gentoo],
gnutls, atlas [oh yes not another
5 hours of tunning, please] and maxima - I passed on python for now).

Having a successful build after rather minimal adjustment I decided to
test it
(sage -testall) and compare the results with a regular build. Numerous
failures at
various point. First tut.tex:
sage -t  tut.tex
*******
File "tut.py", line 1126:
    : x = crt(2, 1, 3, 5); x
Expected:
    11
Got:
    -4
File "tut.py", line 2250:
    : M.T(11).charpoly('x').factor()
Expected:
    (x - 285311670612) * (x - 534612)^2
Got:
    x^3 - 732255212432452092*x^2 + 732255211931384496*x -
3145012477679296873951599424
2 items had failures:
   1 of   8 in __main__.example_48
   1 of   8 in __main__.example_96
***Test Failed*** 2 failures.
For whitespace errors, see the file .doctest_tut.tex
         [60.2 s]
exit code: 256

and then a few more. For the first failed test putting back gmp/mpfr
in the build
solved the problem for the second putting back pari worked [of course
system
pari was built against system gmp so it probably propagated from
there]. That
solved almost all the failed test I had (the test didn't finish got
stuck in calc.py
if memory serves me correctly).

I checked that gmp was built properly with the "make check" provided
in gmp,
so it doesn't look like a miscompilation.

I guess it should be investigated before this version of gmp makes it
into sage.