On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 10, 2024 at 1:00:06 PM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>
> On 10 April 2024 19:24:12 CEST, Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, April 9, 2024 at 3:28:27 PM UTC-7 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> >
> >[...] git submodules [...]
> >
> >git submodules are included in a repository by specific commit sha of the
> >submodule repo.
> >So whenever one has to make a change in the submodule repo, one also has
> >commit a change (by a second PR) in the main repo.
> Why a 2nd PR?
>

> I just explained it. To update the version (commit sha) of the submodule.

Have you ever worked with submodules?

There is simply no need to keep the .gitsubmodules -
the only file in the main repo affected by "git submodule update --remote"
-
always synchronized, commit-wise, for everyone.
Yes, it's a bit annoying to have that pesky .gitsubmodules around, and I
can imagine that
git-subtree etc I mentioned are a better alternative.

Dima