An update: https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/37300, which implemented
what I proposed here, was positively reviewed (thanks, François!) and has
been merged in the latest beta, 10.4.beta4.

Many thanks to all who participated in this poll. It's an illustration
(1) that participation in our community matters, and
(2) that keeping proper focus in discussions matters.

My work over the years to bring the building and installation of Python
packages in the Sage distribution to best practices can now proceed.
The next step (in preparation since 2022):
- "Use pypa/build instead of pip wheel"
(https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/35618, *needs review*)