Jason Grout wrote:
> John Cremona wrote:

>>> Could you CC the numpy devlist as well on this?  It sounds exciting!
>> I will if you give me the address (or you can perhaps?).  It might be
>> worth including Higham's URL:
>> http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/  as he has lots of his
>> talks up there including some which are similar to the one I heard.
>

> I looked, and we actually use the scipy matrix exponential function.  I
> copied this message to the scipy dev list and CC'd you, John.
>
> See: http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2009-February/011427.html
>
> FYI, the list is the scipy-dev list; see http://www.scipy.org/Mailing_Lists

John answered a query from the scipy-dev list and said that the
following paper looked like the stuff Higham talked about:

A New Scaling and Squaring Algorithm for the Matrix Exponential (with
Awad Al-Mohy), MIMS EPrint 2009.9, January 2009. [new]

http://eprints.ma.man.ac.uk/1217/01/covered/MIMS_ep2009_9.pdf

John also provided the following link to Higham's website:

"It might be worth including Higham's URL:
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/  as he has lots of his talks
up there including some which are similar to the one I heard."

I'm posting these here instead of just referring to the scipy-dev thread
so that we have a record of it, given that an arbitrary-precision
version would probably be interesting to us.

Thanks,

Jason