The error looks like a legitimate build failure:

Setting up build directory for matplotlib-1.3.1
Finished set up
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 10, in <module>
    use_setuptools()
  File
"/tmp/tmpDP2B5q-sage-git-temp-16226/local/var/tmp/sage/build/matplotlib-1.3.1/src/distribute_setup.py",
line 180, in use_setuptools
    download_delay)
  File
"/tmp/tmpDP2B5q-sage-git-temp-16226/local/var/tmp/sage/build/matplotlib-1.3.1/src/distribute_setup.py",
line 132, in _do_download
    to_dir, download_delay)
  File
"/tmp/tmpDP2B5q-sage-git-temp-16226/local/var/tmp/sage/build/matplotlib-1.3.1/src/distribute_setup.py",
line 212, in download_setuptools
    src = urlopen(url)
  File "/home/johnson.5320/patchbot/local/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py",
line 127, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
  File "/home/johnson.5320/patchbot/local/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py",
line 404, in open
    response = self._open(req, data)
  File "/home/johnson.5320/patchbot/local/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py",
line 422, in _open
    '_open', req)
  File "/home/johnson.5320/patchbot/local/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py",
line 382, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "/home/johnson.5320/patchbot/local/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py",
line 1214, in http_open
    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
  File "/home/johnson.5320/patchbot/local/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py",
line 1184, in do_open
    raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error [Errno 110] Connection timed out>
Error building matplotlib package.

real 1m3.381s
user 0m0.171s
sys 0m0.194s
Error installing package matplotlib-1.3.1

IMHO, make should work without a network connection.