Putting files of interest in different directories is also confusing.
I, personally, prefer the .c(pp) files co-existing with the .pyx ones.
I think it's pretty standard to have a single source tree have mixed
source and compiler output during development--this goes back to the
"make" vs "make install" discussion on the other thread.