On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/14, 11:12, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> In fact, as you suggest above, go one further:   Python -->
>> "mathematical software"
>>
>> Having such a site, which is like mathoverflow, but for open source
>> math software, sounds attractive (if such a thing does not already
>> exist).
>

> Related: http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/ "Computational Science Stack
> Exchange is a question and answer site for scientists using computers to
> solve scientific problems."
>
> It's seems more about scientific computing rather than more pure
> mathematical software, though.

Another option, given our (relatively) low volume, is to simply find
an broad-enough but related site (such as scicomp.stackexchange.com)
and start pointing user and answering questions there. By nature the
stack exchange format works better when one has critical mass, and
performs poorly if there are lots of little silos. I'd say it
answering questions about Sage (or computational pure math in general,
open source software or not) wouldn't decrease the value of that forum
to users who are only interested in the traditional numerical
computational sciences.

- Robert