Very good to hear!

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:46 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 1:28 PM, maldun <dom...@gmx.net> wrote:
>> That's great to hear!
>>
>> Although I don't know If GPL3 is the best choice ...
>
> I actually didn't have an option regarding GPL or not.

I wonder what constitutes distribution with this system. Is the
ability to see the source by poking around on the VM sufficient? Might
make getting trademarks more important.

>> Are there already alternative plans to make funding from SMC, since closed
>> Source is not an option anymore?
>> (I think this topic is important, since resources are a major issue)
>
> I don't know yet, but I still hope  it will be possible to start a
> company around hosting of SMC, even with SMC being open source.    It
> likely will provide less revenue, and be more difficult to get
> investment.  However, I'm optimistic that at least _something_ will be
> possible, which in the longterm will have the intended impact
> (supporting core Sage development).

It'll change the dynamics, but should still be possible. As precedent,
look at the number of companies jumping on the "managed hadoop" idea.
Some people (especially those on this list) like to tinker, but for
many institutions paying someone $x for a service makes more sense
than maintaining their own with y% of an (expensive) sys admin.
Theoretically someone could come along and undercut the "official"
SMC, but I don't think the market's that big of a target, and the
relative lack of expertise would be a big handicap.

- Robert