At 6:44 pm +0000 7/1/99, Peter Harkess wrote:
>     can someone tell me....

Probably.

> how much memory will i be able to use with  sim-coupe i.e just 512k or as
> much as my computer has free?

SimCoupe is capable of emulating the external 1MB expansion boxes, so in
theory your virtual machine could have up to 4.5MB RAM. Exactly how to
configure this probably depends on which version you're using, is it DOS,
Linux or MacOS?

> can i put my tape version of defenders of the  earth in sim-coupe(i mean
> legaly)and if so how??

Emulation is a bit of a legal minefield - hence the recent arguments on
c.s.s. with the ISDA threatening a problem. Providing you own a legal
original copy of the game and you use the emulation solely for your own
personal use, then no-one is ever likely to complain.... but that doesn't
mean that it is in the strictest sense totally legal.

That said, I don't think there is any easy way of transferring the game
from tape into SimCoupe; as far as I'm aware, external tape inputs are not
emulated (I could be wrong). Possibly you could use a real Sam to transfer
the files from the tape onto a disk, and then use that in SimCoupe. I've
never seen the tape versions of any Sam games so I don't know if there are
any protection mechanisms in place. But providing you can get the code into
the virtual machine, you can expect the game to run properly; the disk
version has already been reported to work correctly.

Andrew

--