On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:38:06 +0100 "Aley Keprt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Oh, and does it mean that I can have SAMDOS at arbitrary directory slot as long as its body occupies tracks 4 and 5? If you say that ROM loads directly
track 4... :-)

The SAM ROM only loads the sector at track 4, sector 1

Of course, it's >technically< impossible to create this kind of disk is with
a standard SAVE command on Sam, because SAMDOS always store files at the
lowest free tracks. (So I can't have track 4 free, and directory slot #01
used alredy.) But I could possibly create it manually in Sam basic. What
about creating an empty disk, make it bootable (save samdos to it), then
read track 0 sector 1, copy first 256 bytes to the other 256 bytes, save
back that sector, and delete original DOS file. Now there is a samdos image in directory slot #02, and the disk is still bootable and fully correct. Am
I correct? :-)

No. The ROM does not have a concept of directory or files. Just that one
sector.

Will it work?

No.

But you could put the rest of the DOS anywhere you like on the disc. Cookie did that to "good" effect in MaxiDOS/QDOS where he put the DOS on tracks 80-82.

Please read again what I suggested. If you say that Sam ROM reads just track 4 sector 1, it means that I AM correct. Yet again, if you say that Sam ROM doesn't know about directory, that means I AM correct.

/---
Aley