>From the realm of the ridiculous, a RESTful interface for controlling
the debugger and reading machine state with the emulator including a
miniature HTTP server that exposes the interface (on localhost, at
least) would be the absolutely perfect thing. I was looking into
drafting a generic spec for such a thing a while ago but didn't get as
far as a document.

The benefit would be that the debugger was a separate program from the
emulator potentially by a different author without either having to
impose very far on the other's project. Realistically, it'd mean that
your fast, cross-platform emulator can remain largely in SDL and I can
write and attach an OS X specific front-end on the emulator (with
sufficient extra knowledge to step through the original source code,
hopefully), or even write one in Javascript and run it anywhere Sim
Coupe can run.

When I looked into it, there seemed to be lots of claims of the like
of "a complete HTTP server requiring only BSD sockets underneath in
less than 2000 lines of C code" around, so I'm not sure that side is
the problem. I keep meaning to investigate something similar in my
Electron emulator, but time is a problem nowadays.