Also, what is different from my config that is causing this problem vs. other
posters who report that it works ok for them?  (...)

I simply reported that it is working for me (as it is) because I assumed that you were using "store dos attributes = yes" as I am. I found this to be the reliable method.

And yes, like Jeremy says "you'll be much happier in the long run" if you use this method too.

It will not be difficult to write a script, or a DOS batch file, to reset the attributes your files now have, after you change the parameters.