Well, I'm pretty sure what we see in the log is actually passed to
festival because I can clearly hear the voice saying "backslash" in my
example :) (the trailing numbers are being omitted however).

liquidtts behaves slightly different when called directly: In my case the
special characters (like umlauts äöü) are just ignored (e.g. no voice
saying "backslash") which is more what I expected to get as I'm using an
English voice for festival (it probably doesn't know how to pronounce
umlauts...)

So I guess there is some wrong or unnecessary character transcoding going
on BEFORE the text is passed to festival...

cheers,
Henry