IMO the path to changing the dynamics for secure coding will reside in
the market, the courts, and the capacity of the software industry to
measure and test itself and to demonstrate the desired properties of
security, quality, and suitability for purpose.  In today's market we do
well in suitability for purpose (aka marketing then testing, pilot, and
purchase) but I believe we do poorly at security and quality.

Rather than try to "tax" software for being bad, it will likely end up
being more successful to reward them for being good in the form of
market support and sales.  That dynamic will probably work better, and
will empower the companies and individuals (who choose to get this
involved) to make the choices of security and quality against cost or
convenience.  The punishment for bad software is lost sales and eventual
loss of the use of that product within the market.

How?
Software vendors will need a 3 tier approach to software security:  Dev
training and certification, internal source testing, external
independent audit and rating.  The open source version of this can be
the same, but applied more individually or at the "derivative product"
level (ie if I make a Linux based appliance from open source, I become
the owner of the issues in that Linux derivative)

The legal side will need to alter the EULA away from a "hold harmless"
model to one where vendors and software buyers can assert that the
software is expected to perform at certain security or quality levels,
and have a known backing from a legal recourse side.  Companies that
make/sell software and can be sued offer more recourse than open source,
but that's not better or worse just different.  The buyer can choose the
degree of security and quality rating (based on the audit etc) and the
legal recourse they want via the SLA or choice to use open source.  For
a high assurance system one might choose a software vendor with a
contract and SLA, while also choosing open source for lower assurance
efforts that come with less recourse but less cost too.  This opens a
market for companies who choose to "resell" open source, but provide the
support and assurances.  It also allows anyone to choose which factors
are important, and buy / use accordingly.

If choice results in "downstream" impacts, then the deployer of the
software is initially accountable, and they must determine if they have
recourse via SLA or contract to their provider.  If they accepted risk
of a non-supported software package, then their deployment and the
ensuing harm is their responsibility.  If they have recourse, as the
saying goes "they pass the savings on".

Home users are also empowered if they choose to be, but overall they
gain in two major ways.  The market will be driven to more secure
software over time without their direct knowledge (as companies and
governments choose to require software to be more secure) and they can
benefit from any legal recourses that are available for notable security
failures or quality gaps.

Using these factors anyone could make decisions based on the need for
recourse (courts), assurance (market), and quality (industry rating and
standards for security and quality) and come away with software that
meets their needs in each area, without excluding open or closed source
or leaving the corporate / consumer customers unprotected.

DISCLAIMER: Views are my own, and not those of my employer, and were
generated over a cup of coffee in a fairly stream of consciousness kind
of way.  Grains of salt not supplied, but are recommended when consuming
the contents. :)