At 4:44 PM -0500 2/5/08, Steven M. Christey wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, ljknews wrote:
>
>> > ("%99999999s" to fill up disk or memory, anybody?), so it's marked with
>> > "All" and it's not in the C-specific view, even though there's a heavy
>> > concentration of format strings in C/C++.
>>
>> It is marked as "All" ?
>>
>> What is the construct in Ada that has such a risk ?
>
> Hmmmm, I don't see any, but then again I don't know Ada.  Is there no
> equivalent to format strings in Ada?  No library support for it?

Not that I know of, but if you can specify a Pascal equivalent
I might be able to see what you are aiming at.  Have you evaluated
Pascal for this defect that is present in "All" languages ?

> Your question actually highlights the point I was trying to make - in CWE,
> we don't yet have a way of specifying language families, such as "any
> language that directly supports format strings," or "any language with
> dynamic evaluation."

Your choice of terminology is yours to make, only within the
bounds of reasonable use of English.  In English there is a
distinct difference between the terms ALL and SOME, between
the terms ALL and MANY and even between the terms ALL and MOST.
--
Larry Kilgallen