David's papers are always interesting, but I think
the most interesting thing is that we are starting
to see advanced SQL injection like his recent
work on cursor attacks/snarfing being used in the
wild in mass-SQL injection exploits.

Attackers  are using multiple layers of encoding for
both reliability of delivery, and and for obfuscation
(for all of you that rolled your eyes every time
I've talked about this for the last five years :) and
as a result are bypassing interface input validation
and blacklists.

The attackers are using common stuff for filter
evasion like using char(127), then hex URI-
escaping or hex encoding that (with \hex,
HTML entity, decimal, whatever), and then
sometimes URI encoding every character
of the resultant string.

Internal parsers canonicalize down to the
SQL interpretable string (e.g.char(127))
and the SQL parser obviously makes a
nice ' out of that.

There are a lot more clever things going
on with the exploits, some of which could
be restricted by simple privilege.

Anyway -- the black hat crowd is paying as
much attention to the lastest exploit techniques,
if not more, than most of us are. They are using
them in the wild, right this second, to make money.

Interesting work by David, for sure, and
great ammo if we have to beat the "strong
data typing" drum in our software.

Arian J. Evans, software security stuff.

I spend most of my money on motorcycles, mistresses, and martinis. The
rest of it I squander.