So I'd like to pull this back to a few salient points. Weirdly,
some folks seem quick to dismiss the paper with a
didactic shot of "folks shouldn't code that way anyway"
which has nothing to do with the subject.

1. I think everyone on SC-L gets the idea of strong
patterns and implementations, and why parameterized
SQL is a good thing, and why cached queries are also
a good thing (for performance, at least, and security if
by doing so you enforce avoidance of EXEC())

2. David's paper is interesting, because out in the real
world people do not, and sometimes cannot, follow
ideal patterns, command patterns, and or implementations
that are safe. (e.g. delegation of privilege on Windows
accessing the DB for security inheritance vs. the negative
impact to thread pooling and process safety -- it is
a real tradeoff, and *never* made on the side of security)

David's paper is interesting because out in the real
world people still follow many borderline unsafe practices
and understanding new attack vectors is essential to
assessing risk, and understanding whether refactoring,
or hofixing, vs. logging, filtering, or *ignoring* the code,
is the right business choice to make.

David's example is more CVE instance than CWE class.

--

Steven, I like the grouping of your two main abstractions
below; for purpose of discussion & education I like to  put

1. Semantic -- I place message structure, delimiting,
and all entailments of semantic conversation, including
implications of use-case and business rules here, where
the latter relate to enforcing specific semantic user/caller-
dialogues with the application.

I place callee requirement to enforce workflow, order,
message structure, state and sequence, and *privilege* here.

2. Syntax -- at heart we have a data/function boundary
problem, right? And most modern implementation level
languages do not give us constructs to address/enforce
this, so all our cluged workarounds, from stack canaries
to crappy \ escaping in SQL to attempts to use of HTML
named entities to encode output, fall into this grouping.

I place in callee requirements everything to do with
message encoding, canonicalization, buffer and
case e.g.- all syntax issues, into this grouping.

Now, arguably you could call a buffer or heap overflow
semantic, if you argue it's privilege related, but I
would say that is a result of language defects (or
realities) and it still starts syntactically.

Where would you put the recent URI-handler issues
in this structure?

Why did you specify privilege burden on the caller?

I tend to leave out/ignore the caller responsiblities
when I am thinking of software. This could be a
bias of predominantly web-centric (and db client/server
where I don't control the client) programming and
design over the years.

While it makes sense to enforce some syntax
structure upon the caller, in general I tend to
put all semantic responsibilities upon the callee,
and even assume the callee should enforce
some notion of syntax requirements upon
the caller, and feed said back to caller.

Arian J. Evans.

I spend most of my money on motorcycles, mistresses, and martinis. The rest
of it I squander.