On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:21 PM, Arian J. Evans wrote:
Jeremiah Grossman and I were both pondering the size of the SCL recently.
Is the list size public?

It's not public per se, but only in the sense that the number isn't directly available--unless you ask for it.

The list has pretty consistently hovered around 1000 subscribers since pretty shortly after I launched it in late 2003.

I am curious why I don't see many new names on SC-L. Lots of lurkers?

We do seem to have a high percentage of lurkers, but I always like to encourage newcomers as well as new active participants. I do my best to keep my moderating light, and I welcome all perspectives and opinions on the topics we discuss here.

My primary moderating criteria are ensuring submissions are relevant to the list charter and keep a civil tone. Beyond that, everyone on the list is largely free to say/discuss whatever suits.

Plain and simple: the list is what the members make of it.

btw// SCL has always been a great place for academic and
progressive-minded folks to talk about state of the art, and future
ideas for secure coding. I have always recommended it to developers
looking for new places to learn as a "best and brightest" haunt. So
thanks for running it guys,

Thanks. I've consistently found over the years that efforts like this are worth the effort in a myriad of ways, and it's something that I gladly take on.

Cheers,

Ken

-----
Kenneth R. van Wyk