Hi Jim,
Jim, thanks for the comments.

It's a fair statement that pen tests don't just happen. There are many
organizations who don't pay attention to application security at all - and
they don't really fit in this model.

You're bang on about the lack of design activities. There just doesn't seem
to be consistency here until people take a more meaningful approach like the
SDL. That's not to say there aren't exceptions - like we mentioned in the
posting, many organizations *do* have some sort of design or architecture
assessment it just doesn't appear to be consistent in our observations.

With respect to implementing metrics, I think this is a sign of maturity
that means organizations are pulling away from a reactive approach. To keep
the model simple, we've left out details about iterating although it's very
important. Tool selection would typically be contained within the individual
step to which the tool applies (e.g. static analysis within source code
review).

--
Rohit Sethi
SD Elements