hi chris,

Thanks for posting your data.  This is great.

The forty-two participating organizations in BSIMM3 are drawn from eight
verticals (with some overlap): financial services (17), independent
software vendors (15), technology firms (10), telecommunications (3),
insurance (2), energy (2), media (2), and healthcare (1). Those companies
among the forty-two who graciously agreed to be identified include: Adobe,
Aon, Bank of America, Capital One, The Depository Trust & Clearing
Corporation (DTCC), EMC, Fannie Mae, Fidelity, Google, Intel, Intuit,
Mashery, McKesson, Microsoft, Nokia, QUALCOMM, Sallie Mae, SAP, Scripps
Networks Interactive, Sony Ericsson, Standard Life, SWIFT, Symantec,
Telecom Italia, Thomson Reuters, Visa, VMware, Wells Fargo, and Zynga.

ISVs: Adobe, EMC, Google, Intuit, Mashery, McKesson, Microsoft, SAP, Sony
Ericson, Symantec, Vmware, Zynga (and 3 un-named firms).

Though our ISV population is certainly biased towards big companies, there
are a couple of smaller firms in the mix (and even some very small ones).

I basically agree with Steve's theory on why code review, architecture
analysis, and security testing are more commonly observed in ISVs (with
the added comment regarding FIs and process).

gem

P.S.  Cross posting to the BSIMM list again.

company www.cigital.com
podcast www.cigital.com/silverbullet
blog www.cigital.com/justiceleague
book www.swsec.com