Gary,

Could you clarify your (and/or the BSIMM) position on "secure by design"
vs "designed to be secure"?  You're encouraging the adoption of
secure-by-design building blocks, as a part of SFD2.1, but then warning
that "designed to be secure" != "secure".  I can think of examples/ways
that what you've said can be true, but am not sure what you're actually
referring to.

Of course we all know that all systems have design and implementation
defects, though solid processes can significantly reduce the number of
those.  And we all can think of plenty of examples of security add-ons
that have actually worsened the true vulnerability of the resulting
software system.

>From my perspective, there are a lot of security frameworks out there
that help software engineers "do the same thing more securely", and then
there are approaches that fundamentally change the way the "thing" is
done.  One example might be giving someone a better strcpy() on the one
hand, versus entirely swapping out their imperative programming paradigm
for a more declarative one.

Thanks,

- Greg