I think this reader belongs to the category "dumb readers".  To make
  things simple and cheap, they usually have a fixed 3.57 MHz clock to
  the card, thus yielding 9600 bps as default I/O speed.  Then they more
  or less just connects I/O to the COM port.

Yes, that's correct.  My driver now sends the pps to raise the card speed,
and sets the port speed to match.  It works with a PC3 dumb reader, but not
with the Todos.  So there is something about the Todos that prevents this
from working.