<< Over on the Strathspey list we use a totally automated system where
subscribers need to confirm their subscription request by sending back a
message containing a very long random number. This ensures that the list can
send stuff to the address being subscribed and that only those people who do
want to subscribe do so -- it foils attempts at harassment where you
subscribe somebody to every mailing list in sight without their knowledge so
they will be inundated with mail. >>

To my knowledge, Majordomo doesn't have a facility for that.  The only unsub
facility is in the configs, "unsubscribe_policy = closed", in which the
listowner is bounced the request sent to Majordomo.  He then approves it by
returning a message to Majordomo: "approve [password] unsubscribe scots-l
[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  It's not too hard, but is boring and
repetitive when frequently done.  But by needing administrative approval it
allows Toby to keep track of the comings and goings here, and occasionally
thwart pranksters.

--Ian

  IAN J. L. ADKINS - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Then let us pray that come it may,
 As come it will for a' that,
 That sense and worth, o'er a' the earth,
 May bear the gree and a' that:
 For a' that and a' that,
 It's comin' yet for a' that
 That man to man the warls o'er,
 Shall brothers be for a' that.
---
 Robert Burns, 1795.

> > I actually approved this request before I got your email. I used
> > to have a totally automated subscirbe/unsubscribe policy, but I had to
> > start doing things by approval 2 years ago because people started
abusing
> > the lists.
>
> Over on the Strathspey list we use a totally automated system where
> subscribers need to confirm their subscription request by sending back
> a message containing a very long random number. This ensures that the
> list can send stuff to the address being subscribed and that only
> those people who do want to subscribe do so -- it foils attempts at
> harassment where you subscribe somebody to every mailing list in sight
> without their knowledge so they will be inundated with mail.
>
> So far there was one (!) incident of abuse during the two or three
> years that this system has been in operation.
>
> Anselm
> --
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Think where man's glory most begins and ends/And say my glory was I had
such
> friends.            -- William Butler Yeats, *The Municipal Gallery
Re-Visited*