I must have got out of the wrong side of bed this morning...

Was Burns a racist? Just before his Kilmarnock edition came out - his first
collection of poems - he hoped that the money from it would be enough to
start a new life in Jamaica as a 'Negro-driver', a slave owner. Was it a
case of, 'A man's a man for a that - exept negroes'? Did he change his mind
when he saw the slave ship in Dundee harbour, which inspired his 'Slave's
Lament'? Or was he merely  _playing_  at being the great egalitarian?

'Before leaving my native country for ever, I resolve to publish my Poems.-
I weighed my productions as impartially as in my power; I thought they had
merit; and 'twas a delicious idea that I would be called a clever fellow,
even though it should never reach my ears a poor Negro-driver, or perhaps a
victim to that inhospitable clime gone to the world of Spirits....(snip)...I
was pretty sure my Poems would meet with some applause; but at the worst,
the roar of the Atlantic would deafen the voice of Censure, and the novelty
of west-Indian scenes make me forget Neglect' c.1785. [Quoted in Robert
Burns, Hans Hecht. William Hodge & Co. Ltd. 2nd edition, 1950]

Just something to kick off the Burns night celebrations...

Rob
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.robmackillop.com