[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> << whether they
>  decided to stay or go home once freed >>
>
> Now this is a piece of the puzzle we had lost! My Grandfather's grandparents
> must have (might have?) gone back to Scotland. 'cause the thing that has
> confused me is how his grandparents were here, yet he was born in Scotland
> and came to America with his parents when he was 8 years old. And they headed
> straight to farming. It makes me wonder if the land was held onto somehow,
> and his parents returned to that same land?

OK, I've found Buchan's notes on the slave trade to Virginia, and the
offending city is not Inverness but Aberdeen. There is a lengthy story
about a man who was kidnapped as a child but made his way back - Peter
Wilkinson - and was treated extremely badly. Unfortunately my book is an
1828 original edition and I can't stick it in a scanner and OCR the
text, so I am just going to have to write it all out. It's an incredible story.

I am not familiar with Robert Louis Stevenson at all; 'Kidnapped' has
nothing to do with this, or does it? We are talking first half of 18th
century, Aberdeen, large-scale organised kidnapping of children for
export to the plantations of Virginia.

The story is told by Buchan as a note to 'The Virginia Maid's Lament',
one of the few of his collected ballads which deals with emigration/US matters.

David Kilpatrick