> I've googled "Tonic Sol Fa" and looked at a number of the sites  that
> aren't  about  the shlocky group by that name.  I'd say that it isn't
> ready for prime time on the Web.  True, a lot of people  seem  to  be
> familiar  with  it.  But of the songs that I found (and there weren't
> many), there was very little consistency in  the  notation,  and  one
> would  have  to  put  out a huge effort to write code that could make
> sense of it.  We have problems with inconsistent abc, but  abc  is  a
> paragon of standardization in comparison with tonic sol fa.

That's not true of the notation as used in the UK.  It all derives from
one source, Curwen's original texts, and uses it with no variation
whatever that I've noticed.  Much more standardized than either ABC or
staff notation.  It's still the most commonly used notation for Gaelic
singers.

I don't think trying to parse it makes much sense - it would have to be
OCR'd, as I doubt any two typesetters represent it the same way on a
computer or even keep their transcriptions on file.  But generating it
is a whole lot easier, and there would be a market for the result.

The way I write ABC (with the beats aligned vertically in parallel
phrases or parallel simultaneous voices) is motivated by the same
sort of readability concerns as sol-fa layout; horizontal space
represents elapsed time (mostly).  I don't find sol-fa any easier
to read than ABC if both are laid out with equal care.  But I don't
expect to persuade the Mod of that.

I just came across another kind of sol-fa yesterday, in a Belgian
songbook from the 1940s.  Notes designated by numbers.  I've no idea
if anyone still uses that.