Stuart Eydmann alerted me to a new book which has just come out, 'The
Great Scots Musicography' by Martin Strong. It consists of
discographies and potted biographies of Scottish musicians and groups,
and while the bias is naturally towards rock and pop, there are
sections on folk music and traditional musicians.

I think it's the first book of its kind (concentrating on Scots music)
and I've had a look through it. To my surprise, however, I discovered
that Mr Strong has visited my web site and lifted a lot of the
information I'd placed there. Much of it is lifted practically word for
word, and he has made mistakes based upon some ambiguous sentences on
my web pages. All this without permission, and without a word of
acknowledgement.

I have been told various anecdotes about groups or musicians by people
who had stumbled across my site. I always asked their permission before
including them on my site; this guy has simply requoted them without
any permission. We can only assume that he has done the same with many
other sources.

What to do? Nothing, I guess, except be aware of the quality of this
work (unreliable).

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]