Jack writes:
| > Mairi's Wedding: is that Scottish?
|
| Yes.  It's based (I'm told) on an older Gaelic song, "Mhairi nighean
| a Donnachaidh", but I don't know it.  Mairi still alive, I think; the
| song was written for a specific wedding in the 1930s.  There is a
| specific dance for it, but you could use it for any reel.  It's a
| nice tune but the words (which I think were first written in English,
| don't blame the Gaels for it) are crap.

If you  ask  google  about  "Mairi's  Wedding  birthday"  you'll  get
pointers  to a number of copies of an article from about 2 years ago,
about Mary McNiven's 90th birthday. She was the one the tune and song
and  dance  were written for.  She was a young singer and step dancer
back then, and in the 20's a friend wrote the tune as a gift. Another
friend  wrote lyrics, in Gaelic (but it was soon translated poorly to
English ;-).  The song was about her, but didn't mention  a  Wedding,
since  that  was  still  about  5  years  off,  and then the song got
rewritten for the occasion.  The dance was made up by a third friend,
for  the wedding IIRC.  Anyway, she's still around, and still singing
and dancing.

One warning about playing it for dancing: The dance is a 40-bar reel.
When  sung,  it's  a  16-bar song, AB.  You need 5 phrases to fit the
dance.  The usual pattern is ABABB, though sometimes the  last  B  is
modified to have a proper ending on the tonic.  Musicians not used to
playing for SCD may find this confusing.  If you medley it with other
tunes (marches work best), you'll want to find tunes that work with a
5x8-bar phrasing. Some do, and some don't. This is one case where the
common  practice  of  changing  tunes  for  every  round of the dance
actually helps the musicians.  You effectively  play  each  tune  2.5
times, in whatever pattern makes most sense for that tune.  Sometimes
ABABA works better than ABABB. Sometimes AABBB is best.  When you see
the  dancers doing the last figure (circle left then right), you know
to change to the next tune.

If your musicians haven't played your chosen tunes  together,  you'll
want to write the repeat pattern in LARGE letters above each tune.

This may be the best-known Scottish Country Dance in the  repertoire.
(And it would be one with a funny length. ;-)