Hi Kartik,

I recently started working with the SDL Manual, but I don't have a game in
mind. Regardless of that, I find it very useful to see the things you can do
with SDL demonstrated with games. What I'm missing so far, and what is part of
every game, too, is UI stuff. How do buttons work with SDL, how do you change
the state of a button element (normal, active, hover, diabled,  etc.) and how
do you encapsulate such UI elements properly.

Basically, I'm still experimenting to find a way to create a good button class
for a menu. I know there is a package out there that provides methods for
drawing menus, but especially when writing your own games / apps, I guess one
might want to implement its own kind of menu with nifty nice effects, layout
and so on.

So this is my idea: add a chapter on UI elements (not only buttons, but
(high-score-tables, text fields etc.). Unfortunately, all I can add to this
project so far (I'm still a SDL n00b) are possibly dumb questions. For example,
I don't know how to adjust a text on a surface for a button. By adjusting, I
mean something like aligning to the left or the right or automatically
splitting the text up an breaking into a new line when a given with would be
exceeded (I'm generating buttons with unknown text length, which is quite
problematic).

hth,
Alex

-------- Original-Nachricht --------