I know perlbrew but just didnt seen it your message when I replied.
Using perlbrew is perfectly fine, this way we dont have problems with
console user rights.

The patches you mentioned are 4 years old, but maybe we can use some
stuff from it. It isnt much though.

I'll try to get my OSX 10.6 virtual machine back running again and test
there.

One last thing: You are logged on to the desktop with that "blue" user,
right?

Cheers.