SEARCH400.COM | Programmer Tip
November 21, 2001

Essential explanations, tools and code for the iSeries
programmer.
More tips:
http://search400.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid3_tax2f9,00.html

In today's technical advice roundup you'll find tips, expert
answers and input from your peers to the following iSeries
programmer questions and concerns:

Today's Featured Programmer Tip:
     - Status messages help users get through long jobs

1. Answers to Other Technical Questions:
     1. RPG ILE debug annoying you too?
     2. Copy from Client Access without a mouse
     3. RPG programming standards
     4. Printer creation date

2. Important Announcements and Links
     - Tips Contest: Win a Pen Cam Mini Digital Camera
     - Advice: Programmer Discussion Forum
     - Featured Book: Understanding AS/400 System Operations
     - Search400 Search Engine: Find iSeries information fast

Three for $1.99, one more for FREE!
Buy three books for $1.99 each and get the fourth book FREE!
Simply register at Library of Computer & Information Sciences,
the best book resource for programmers and power users, and
take advantage of this great deal. Featured this week: "Linux
Programmer's Reference, 2/e". A $19.99 value, yours FREE with
the purchase of three other books at $1.99 each. Click below
for membership today!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3609402;5058249;i?https://www.joinlcis.com/mybookclub/lcis/bookclubs/lci/JoinFast/c2/c2_coupon.htm/?src=484_02_ju_224_e33_3190

Today's Featured Tip
Status messages help users get through long jobs

If you have users who run long jobs, chances are you have a
problem with those users canceling jobs midway -- because they
think the systems is hung up -- and then trying to rerun the
job. All they probably need is a status update to assure them
that everything is OK. This tip from site expert Tim Granatir
shows you how you can create and use status messages to ease
their mind, as well as make your job easier.

>> CLICK here for the full tip:
http://www.search400.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci782458,00.html

Answers to Other Programmer Questions

1. RPG ILE debug annoying you too? (Tips contest winner)
Don't let RPG ILE debugging annoy you any longer. Learn how to
use the CRTBNDRPG command and stop going through each and
every file when using F10.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci760284,00.html

2. Copy from Client Access without a mouse (Tips contest winner)
When copying from a CA/400 green screen, if you are copying
multiple pages, you can select the area on the screen to be
copied and then from EDIT on the tool bar use COPY one time,
and use COPY APPEND for all remaining images until finished.
You need to paste only one time.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid3_gci754601,00.html

3. RPG programming standards
One user states, "I am looking for documentation relating to
RPG Programming Standards that have been incorporated and
proven. We're looking to set up and refine our current
standards. We were hoping to find up-to-date examples of good
programming standards for a small RPG programming shop." Site
expert Tim Granatir offers some advice.
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid3_cid383393_tax285222,00.html

4. Printer creation date
This member is looking for some advice on working with TAATOOL
to save and retrieve spool files. Does anyone know if you can
change the creation date of the spool file? Share your
expertise with a fellow member.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^1@.ee84636/731!viewtype=convdate&skip=&expand=

IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WIN A PEN CAM MINI DIGITAL CAMERA | Submit your Tip to Win

We're giving away a Pen Cam Mini Digital Camera. This all-in-
one miniature digital camera, camcorder and PC camera fits in
your pocket. Send in your tip -- the end of the month is
nearing -- you could be our next winner.

>> SUBMIT a Tip:
http://www.search400.com/tipsPrize/0,289492,sid3_prz778504_cts778499,00.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SEARCH400 PROGRAMMER  | Interact with other Programmers

Are you an iSeries programmer with questions? Join your peers
in our Programmer Forum to ask and answer questions about XML,
COBOL, CL, ILE, Web development, Java and much more.
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^1@.ee84636

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
THIS WEEK'S FEATURED BOOK | search400 Bookstore

Title: Understanding AS/400 System Operations
Authors: Mike Dawson and Marge Hohly

This book offers a unique approach to learning iSeries 400
operations with extensive end-of-chapter, hands-on labs, self-
tests and review questions.
http://www.digitalguru.com/DigitalGuru/product_detail.asp?catalog_name=Books&category_name=&product_id=1583470158&partner_id=55

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
SEARCH400 SEARCH ENGINE | Find iSeries information fast

Is Google one of your favorite search tools? We've partnered
with Google to make our iSeries-specific search engine even
better. Why waste time slogging through irrelevant search
results? Try our newly tweaked search engine for the most
targeted iSeries results.

>> Search Engine:
http://search400.techtarget.com/integratedSearchAdvanced/0,289518,sid3,00.html

What other programmer issues do you have and/or need to be
addressed? Talk to us and other members of search400:

* Submit your technical questions to our programmer experts:
http://search400.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid3_tax285217,00.html

* Talk to other users about programming issues in our
discussion forum:
http://search400.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84636

* Send your iSeries programming concerns directly to our site
editor, Michelle Davidson, at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for
feedback or suggestions.

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCH400 CONTACTS  :::::::::::::::::::

 MICHELLE DAVIDSON, Site Editor
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your story ideas and best practices.

 DEBRA TART, Assistant Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send us your tips and Best Web Links.

 JACK PICKELL, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your product announcements and poll ideas.

 GABRIELLE DERUSSY (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Sponsor this or any other TechTarget newsletter.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://search400.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.