Title: TechTarget, Inc.
 >>About this email:  >>Receive this email as text
searchDatabaseThis Week
 January 29, 2002
 In this Issue

>> From the editor: DB2 vs. Oracle: Which is easier on the DBA?
>> Featured Topic: Web services: What? Why? How?
>> Expert Technical Advice:
* Featured Expert: Karen Morton
* SOAP Programming with Java
* Change the SQL prompt
>> Site Highlights:
* SOAP Programming with Java
* New Features of Oracle 8i and 9i
* Data Warehouse Security Management

 From the Editor:

by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor

Several weeks ago, searchDatabase highlighted a recent study by Rauch Associates that compared the time demands on Oracle 9i and DB2 DBA's. They conducted the study over a three month period, pitting the two foes in a dozen management tasks in the areas of database setup and configuration, ongoing database administration, performance tuning, and backup and recovery. The result? Rauch found that the Oracle group got their work done in half the time needed for the IBM group. The DB2 DBA's needed nearly 50% more administrative steps to perform the same tasks.

What do you think? Mike C. wrote me, saying that "this superiority does not exist when you compare 9i to DB2 on the AS/400. Oracle credits its good showing to self-tuning, simplification of management functions, increased automation of routine tasks, and a more sophisticated set of management tools. From its inception, the AS/400 has been phenomenal at eliminating the need to perform routine tasks. Most are automated or just are not necessary. As a matter of fact, you almost never find a DBA position in IT departments that have an AS/400. This is because they are not necessary!"

Agree? Posters in our forum tend to favor SQL Server over the other two anyway. Let me know what you think! Go to the DBA Water Cooler forum, look for the thread called "DB2 vs. Oracle: Which is easier on the DBA?," and post your opinions. I'll summarize your comments in an upcoming Editor's Note.

On an unrelated note, thanks to everybody who responded to my call for tip comments last week. We received a lot of constructive feedback. The winner for the most feedback was for an Oracle tip titled Change the SQL prompt, which garnered six detailed responses. Keep them coming!

Till next time, Tim DiChiara, Editor

 Featured Topic:

Web services: What? Why? How?
by Tim DiChiara, Site Editor
Will 2002 be the year that web services are translated from hype into reality? Wait--what are web services anyway and why do I need them? Fear not, we have the XML, .NET, & J2EE tips, tutorials, and analysis you need inside...

Read more about this topic

 Expert Technical Advice:

Featured Expert: Karen Morton, Owner, Morton Consulting, Inc.

Category: Oracle
Karen is an OCP with over 15 years IT experience and 10 years Oracle experience. She has co-authored several Oracle training coursebooks and taught hundreds of individuals in skills ranging from introductory Oracle to advanced DBA topics. Ask her your toughest Oracle questions!

View all of Karen Morton's answers

This Week: In the forums
>> Oracle OCP prep resources?
Member "Karen" is preparing for her OCP Admin and Architecture exams and is looking for a good source for sample questions. Go to our "DBA Water Cooler" forum if you can give Karen some recommendations.
>> Calling a COBOL/DB2 SP from a Java app
Member "Sujit" is still looking for the steps involved in writing a stored procedure in COBOL+DB2 in s390 and calling it from a Java Application. What changes to the catalog table or environment variable need to be incorporated before the SP can run? Help him out in our "Data Warehousing and Data Analysis" forum.

Tip of the Week:
If you work with a number of Oracle SQL*Plus windows open, it may become difficult to guess which session goes to which database. This tip has an edited version of Glogin.Sql to reflect which database you're in. This edit puts the database into the SQL prompt. UPDATED JAN 24: Six detailed comments and modified scripts posted by readers have been added.
>> Change the SQL prompt

 Site Highlights

SOAP Programming with Java
Pre-register today for this event happening next Wednesday, February 6th
Join William Brogden of LANWright for this discussion and learn how to use SOAP to communicate with vendors and customers, plus more.

New Features of Oracle 8i and 9i
CD-ROM Training with noted Oracle expert Don Burleson
Order this video training now, then get advice direct from Don Burleson in his upcoming live event on searchDatabase.
Data Warehouse Security Management
Live Expert Q&A with Shaku Atre Tuesday February 5th - Register Today
Join renowned database guru Shaku Atre in a discussion about the often overlooked but essential need for security in a data warehouse environment. Learn the unique requirements of multidimensional databases and star schemas, how to balance security and access, and much more.

The latest on CRM...
Update your profile today to receive the in-depth CRM newsletter featuring info on the latest technology, vendors, DW and integration issues, and much more
Register Here!

Free Special Report
Get "Storage Networking Building Blocks." The download appears right after you subscribe to Storage magazine, the only monthly magazine tackling storage as a strategic issue.
Subscribe Today

Enterprise Windows
The newsletter "Windows 2000 in the Enterprise" provides advice on optimizing the features of this popular OS while integrating it smoothly into heterogeneous networks.
Subscribe Today

A B O U T  T H I S  E - M A I L :
This e-mail is brought to you by TechTarget where you can get relevant search results from over 20 industry-specific Web sites.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line. Please allow 24 hours for your "REMOVE" request to be processed.

Copyright 2002 TechTarget, Inc. All rights reserved.