Title: This Week
December 13, 2004 Published by  SearchDatabase.com

This Week

SearchDatabase.com
NEWS     TOPICS     ITKNOWLEDGE EXCHANGE     TIPS     ASK THE EXPERTS     WEBCASTS     WHITE PAPERS
IN THIS ISSUE:
  > From the Editor: Oracle OpenWorld wrap-up
  > Learning Center: 600 DBMS tips and scripts
  > White Papers: View this week's featured White Papers
  > More from SearchDatabase.com: Ask the DB2 expert

Ask the Database Experts
Ask the Experts is the place to get your toughest strategic database administration and development questions answered by some of the leading authorities in the database industry.

FROM THE EDITOR

Oracle OpenWorld wrap-up
[by Tim DiChiara]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm back from San Francisco, where 20,000 of my closest friends and I descended to immerse ourselves in all things Oracle. With the addition of the applications audience, OpenWorld was even more overwhelming than usual -- the show had to expand into the new wing of the already cavernous Moscone convention center. I can't imagine it getting any bigger without imploding under its own weight.

Attendees were inundated with 400+ technical sessions -- including some given by our own SearchOracle.com experts -- and with the usual collection of silly vendor gimmicks, lasers, and throbbing techno music. One of the biggest crowds was at the booth to register for Oracle's outrageous sweepstakes in which the grand prize is actually a flight into space (price tag: $100,000), complete with 10 minutes of weightlessness! I entered, so stay tuned for a "From the Editor" column from 62 miles up.

If you missed all the excitement, here is a sampling of our reporter Rob Westervelt's excellent coverage of the show:

For more details about the show's technical highlights, here's a blog from Mark Rittman (offering the developer perspective) and one from Justin Kestelyn (representing the DBAs).

Hungry for still more Oracle info? Here are the latest installments in our ultra-popular "Learning Guide" series, this time devoted to two hot button issues for you Oracle DBAs:

As always, I welcome your feedback and thanks to all those I chatted with in SF. I'm looking forward to doing it all again in 2005!

Cheers, Tim

LEARNING CENTER

600 DBMS tips and scripts
[by Tim DiChiara]

Looking for that perfect script that will make your life as a database guru just a tad easier? You've come to the right place! 600 Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, and SQL tips are inside.

 FEATURED WHITE PAPERS

Real-Time Data Caching for Enterprise Applications
Published by: ObjectStore Sept. 30, 2004

SQL Server: BackUp, Recovery, and Troubleshooting
Published by: Imceda Oct. 27, 2004

Enabling your Business Intelligence Infrastructure for Real-Time Reporting
Published by: HyperRoll Nov. 1, 2004

> VIEW ALL WHITE PAPERS

MORE FROM SEARCHDATABASE.COM

ASK THE EXPERTS: DB2
[Craig Mullins, Director of Technology Planning, BMC Software]
Craig has extensive experience in the field of database management, having worked as an application developer, a DBA and an instructor with multiple database management systems, including DB2, Oracle and SQL Server. Additionally, Craig worked as a Research Director with the Gartner Group covering the field of database administration. He is the author of the DB2 Developer's Guide, the industry-leading book on DB2 for OS/390, and has published more than 100 articles on database technology. Ask Craig your tough DB2 questions!

Contact Us
Sales
For sales inquiries, please contact us at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Editorial
For feedback about any of our articles or to send us your article ideas, please contact us at:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ABOUT THIS E-NEWSLETTER
TechTarget This e-newsletter is published by SearchDatabase.com, a targeted Web site from TechTarget, the most targeted IT media and events company.
Copyright 2004 TechTarget. All rights reserved.

To unsubscribe from "Updates on new site content":