Robert,

Where does the abstract configurator enter the flow? Unless it overrides the InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostname() call, I don't think it will help since that is the ONLY thing the transport is looking at for HELO. Details in my previous post..... I believe the actual error is in:

org.apache.geronimo.javamail.transport.smtp.SMTPConnection.java

I can make the fix to that class if you have the ability to rebuild the geronimo.javamail.jar file.

Thanks.

Jerry