Hi Matt -  Thank you for taking the time to respond so quickly! Dunno if
I will have time to play with other java applications but that is a
thought. (I take off for Europe tomorrow so that may have to wait until
I get back in Aug.) Do you know of a 3'rd party client email application
that runs on Linux?  I was just wanting to set up some email clients on
my Android devices and ran into this snag.  I have tried the connections
using both TLS, SSL, and no encryption, all with the same no joy on my
Android devices. The certificates are from LetsEncrypt and are fullchain
certs. (They are in fact wildcard certificates for all the subdomains of
my main URL)

The log files for James don't show much, the only response I see, when I
ask to fetch emails is these 3 lines -

INFO  23:27:19,047 |
org.apache.james.metrics.logger.DefaultMetricFactory | Time spent in
IMAP-NOOP: 0 ms.
INFO  23:27:19,065 |
org.apache.james.metrics.logger.DefaultMetricFactory | Time spent in
IMAP-EXAMINE: 16 ms.
INFO  23:27:19,097 |
org.apache.james.metrics.logger.DefaultMetricFactory | Time spent in
IMAP-SEARCH: 25 ms.

To my untrained eyes that almost looks like some sort of protocol or
connection error is occurring since I would expect to see a lot more
instrumented messages showing up in the logs whenever I click in the
client to ask for a new download of messages.

   Marc...

On 7/1/19 10:26 PM, cryptearth wrote:
> Hey Marc,
>
> as most Android apps handling mail use javamail (at least I would, but
> I don't know for sure if the android-api itself may offer some
> "system-level" stuff wich is messed up) you can do so with a normal
> java application run on your other clients. As more than one device
> shows an issue one can say it mostly isn't something wrong with a
> device, and you also tested different apps, so one can say it's not an
> app causing it - but it worries that only the Android devices show
> issues.
>
> Are you using TLS in any way on the server/s? If so: How did you set
> the certificate up? Did you include the intermediate certificates in
> the keystore? Otherwise, if you not use TLS, are you use a VPN?
>
> There many reasons this could fail. A quick test would be using
> javamail and write some lines to test if it's an issue with javamail.
> Also: does james log show any errors?
>
> Matt
>
> Am 02.07.2019 um 07:13 schrieb Marc Chamberlin:
>> Hi - I started poking at this issue a few months ago and didn't find a
>> solution so I thought I might ask again before I spend too much further
>> time trying to resolve this issue. I am running James 3.4 (a snapshot
>> version given to me to solve another problem) for my own SOHO nets and a
>> few friends. Nothing big and for the most part it works fine when using
>> it with email clients such as Thunderbird on Linux or Windows platforms.
>> But I have a couple Android devices, a phone and a tablet and I have
>> tried setting up a few different email clients on them all with no joy!
>> They all seem capable of sending emails out through the smtp service of
>> James, but I will be darned if I can get them to behave with imap. I
>> have tried K-9, BlueMail, GMail, and the Samsung E-Mail clients. I have
>> made the imap server connections pretty much identical to the settings I
>> use in Thunderbird and Apple Mail and don't believe for a second that I
>> am setting the Android apps up any different. So is there anything weird
>> about Android that I should be aware of? BlueMail just shows me a
>> spinning circle when I tell it to download my email from my server, K-9
>> does on rare occasion show me some emails but the moment I read one the
>> rest just disappear and I can't get it to load any more or re-display
>> the ones that it did manage to download for a short time. I also know
>> something is partially working because all the folders and sub-folders I
>> have defined in my mail accounts do show up. So I am puzzled, and asking
>> because it seems James is the common denominator, any ideas?
>>
>>      Thanks in advance...   Marc...

<b>Computers: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the user Marc.<br>
His mission: to explore strange new hardware. To seek out new software and new
applications.<br>
To boldly go where no Marc has gone before!<br></b>