As I understand it, RDP provides the RPC's for a Windows to communicate with the SmartCard driver on the client. The usual case is for some PKI authentication package on the Terminal Server to demand credentials, which is tunneled over RDP to the client. It sounds like in your case, both the Smartcard reader driver and the authentication package usually reside on the same Windows XP instance. If it uses the same RPC's that, say, ActivIdentity does, this *could* work - according to the spec, RDP 5.1 supports SmartCard redirection. You'll still need the drivers for the USB card reader installed on the 'home' system. So, enable SmartCard services on SGD, RDP on the Windows XP instance, and give it a try.
Rick

Martin Sapsed wrote:
Hello all,

Our finance department are asking about whether SGD can deal with SmartCards used by applications (as opposed to for authentication). They want us to provide remote access to their staff desktops - nothing special there. However, they run applications on the desktops to do payment runs etc and the application needs to be able to see a SmartCard. The card readers connect via USB. As part of a disaster recovery plan they want to send people home with their smart card readers and connect to the desktops remotely. Their current idea is RDP over VPNs but we've managed to avoid VPNs to date by using SGD. The documentation suggests that you can enable SmartCards but only for "for applications running on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 application server". Just wondering if this is hard and fast or why the restriction is in place? The situation we're looking at would have the applications running on XP desktops.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Martin