INDONESIAN LEGAL AID FOUNDATION
Number: 016/SP-YLBHI/IX/1999

PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBER 7/1999 DISREGARDS THE FACT THAT TNI IS NOT
NEUTRAL IN THE MATTER OF EAST TIMOR

The security situation after the vote in East Timor is getting worse. The
flood of refugees going out of this region indicates that Indonesia
government could not guarantee the feeling of security, which needed for
each person in this region. Various forms of violence such as the burning of
houses, molestation and murders are continuing. This condition is
exacerbated by the TNI backed militias who are going about freely bearing arms.

In connection with this situation, as of 00.00 hours September 7, 1999, the
whole region of East Timor is declared in a State of Military Emergency.
This decision was issued by the Indonesian government through 'Presidential
Decree No. 7 of 1999' and is based on Act No.23/Prp/1959 on the State of
Emergency.

Before this presidential decree was enacted, various forms of violence
occurred in East Timor. This violence has caused damage to the communication
infrastructure and has forced national as well as foreign journalists to
leave the region. As a result East Timor is de facto already isolated. This
situation has caused the access by the humanitarian missions to be
obstructed and even completely stopped.

With regard to this development, the Indonesian Legal Aid Foundation state
the following:

First, we are convinced that the various forms of violence taking place in
East Timor at present are the manifestations of resistance to, and rejection
of the results of the Vote as announced by the UN.

Second, the dispatch of military troops to East Timor, under the protection
of the Presidential Decree on the Declaration of Martial Law, will make the
security condition even worse and threaten the peace process in East Timor.
This concern is very justified, because history has shown that the military
are part of the East Timor problem. In such a situation, it will be very
difficult to expect that the military can take a neutral stance in the
present conflict in East Timor. Therefore, we are of the opinion that it is
not appropriate for the TNI to receive the mandate as the guardian of
security in this region.

Third, to prepare for a transitional government in East Timor, we are of the
opinion that what is needed at this moment is the upholding of the law in a
just and impartial manner, which condition is impossible for the Indonesian
government to provide. Therefore we urge the Secretary General of the United
Nations to immediately send a Peacekeeping Force to realize peace in the
East Timor region. It is this Peacekeeping Force, together with TNI and the
Indonesian Police, which shall be responsible for maintaining security and
peace in East Timor.

Fourth, we urge the government to open a logistics channel and information
access from and to East Timor. Whatever the state of security that has been
decided for the region, it should not reduce the civil and political rights
of individuals. On the basis of this principle, all measures which result in
the obstruction of access to humanitarian aid and access to information can
not be tolerated. Therefore whoever is in charge in East Timor, must be able
to ensure that the access is not blocked. In other words the access to
humanitarian aid and for the journalists must be immediately opened as a
condition for the realization of peace in East Timor.

Issued in Jakarta, Dated September 8, 1999
Board of Management

Dadang Trisasongko, Vice Chairman
Irianto Subiakto, Head of Civil & Political Rights

SiaR WEBSITE: http://apchr.murdoch.edu.au/minihub/siarlist/maillist.html

Kirim email ke