On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM, Danny McPherson <da...@tcb.net> wrote:
> On 2013-03-21 14:29, Chris Morrow wrote:
>
>> TODAY it reduces the number, yes. 100% agree.
>> TOMORROW the number of repositories, even those which are 'hosted' will
>> be split up by name and/or ip-address...
>>
>> I have a feeling these will be like DNS servers and likely ripe (ha!)
>> points for attack by bad folks. So sharing fate for all customers just
>> seems like a bad idea.
>>
>>> folks become unhappy with the repository management, but for now I think
>>> it is reasonable to assume a much smaller number of repositories, which
>>> is what Sriram and I did in our model.
>>

>> yup. but having the ability to increase the number of repositories in
>> the model means we can say: "today with N repositories and M objects we
>> see times of Y. Tomorrow when we have X repositories with Y objects we
>> should see times of Z"
>

> Agreed.
>
> Additionally, this perspective may well change when things like BGPSEC
> router keys need to be published and then ingested by operational routers
> for update signing, as the trust model is fairly different, methinks.

so, to me, this is just 'more objects with a tight(er) timeframe on
delivery' right?

meaning: today you have (for sake of the conversation) relatively
static content in the repository, where data changes 1/2/3
objects/day, and it's important to get the data distributed, but
(again, for the conversation) 24hrs is 'fine' as a timeline between:
"publish object" and "rendered onto the router".

but: tomorrow if you followed (for the sake of the conversation)
Sriram's model of 'roll router keys hourly to ensure ttls on routes'
(loosely paraphrased and with times I don't even think he put into his
slides/discussions), you'd be talking about #-of-routers * 24 objects
changing every day, and with a timescale for: "publish" to "render" on
the order of 1hr. (likely less than 1hr, something closer to 5-10
minutes has been discussed previously).

right?

-chris