Hi Folks,

I've suspended TJ and Bob from the group. TJ, for the obvious reason of
mistakenly sending political items to the main list, repeatedly; Bob,
for using the list to publicly resolve a matter that should have been
handled in private, with my help if needed.

I am not sure under what circumstances I'm willing to let TJ come back
at this point. Despite the fact he's been a member here for so long, I
can't permit these intrusions to continue, and I see no sign that he is
capable of preventing such mistakes in the future.

I also agree fully with Linda and Malcolm that his practice of sending
unadorned links without any description is a discourtesy to those of us
with slow connections (Malcolm) or slow hardware (me), and are a waste
if the goal is to have any real interaction on the OT list, which has
largely become a dumping ground for TJ's broadcasts..

With all the goings on lately, I'm considering elevating what has up to
this point been a matter of etiquette to the status of a rule, along
the lines of:

"Any link or article you want to post must be accompanied by a minimum
of a few sentences written by you, that illustrate your interest in the
material and why we might want to view it, and the silver list or OT
list must be the only recipient of your message."

In other words, I want such postings to extract a certain level of
investment and engagement from the member that might actually offer
something to the community.

As for Bob, the rules are clear that any complaints you have about the
behavior of other members are to be directed to me privately. These
include issues of off-list behavior, such as TJ ignoring Bob's entirely
reasonable request to be taken off his distribution lists.

I provide the forum and have created the rules and expectations that
govern members' behavior while they are my guests. I must rely on every
member respecting this and giving me at least a basic level of
cooperation. This incident and other matters that Bob and I have
discussed privately beg the question whether he is honestly willing to
do that.

I'll continue this discussion with anyone who wants to comment, where
it belongs... in private. Thank you.

Be well,

Mike Devour
silver list owner