Just as a matter of interest. Does anyone know how to make/mix the calibration solution for a pH meter?

Cheers, Roger B
NZ

On 19/04/2010, at 2:24 PM, poast wrote:

Hello Malcolm,

While I totally agree with you, it is just too much fun to simply stop.
This batch will be played with to death and never consumed.

The saga continues.

I decided to add some baking soda to the solution to balance the PH. The PH
had dropped to about 3 and I brought it back up to 6.8.

Next I added some ascorbic acid and it turned brown, then almost immediately turned clear again. I added more and the same thing happened. More is
added and the same thing happens again.

Finally I ended up with a gray layer at the bottom of the jar, but the rest
of the solution is clear.  I just shook it up to see what happens.

The PH is now back to 4.6. Very interesting stuff. I hold it up to the light with the sun at my back and it looks bluish gray. When I turn around
and look at the sun through the solution it looks dark amber.

I find it interesting that I still have a great Tyndal effect and that the
solution is staying clear.

Oh well, I will exercise (or as Dok commented exOrcise) it a few more times
and see what happens.

Thanks for your help in trying to figure this out.

Tom