To determine what is causing the burns, attach the electrodes to a strip of salt water soaked towel...run the Zapper for a while, then test with litmus paper and co-relate that info with which electrode was burning the skin. My bet...too high a concentration of Sodium Hydroxide built up in the skin...made faster than the capillaries can carry it away into the blood stream.

Solutions: Increase the area of that electrode [More skin, bigger basket hauls more freight faster ] , decrease the conductivity of electrolytes, decrease the voltage at the electrodes with a potentiometer...or just stop and wait for a few minutes, every few minutes. Everyone is different and the same people are different on different days, making instructions into suggestions to be applied with observation and common sense.

If it hurts when you do something this way, do it another way till it doesn't.
If you must stab yourself, at least dull the knife point till it won't kill you when you do...if you live, you can always sharpen it later.

IOW
Start slow and ramp up.
Find the brake pedal first and never mind the gas pedal till you learn to drive at idle speed. When you start slipping in the turns, there's your limit for the conditions of that day, on that track, using the tires you have.
 Crashing into the wall ends the race.

PS Switching polarity inputs the opposing electrochemical, neutralizing what you were trying to do at that spot. Shifting into reverse will slow down or stop the car too...but coasting might be a more efficient way, so long as you didn't get going too fast to start with. A lot easier on the tread. [Can't put the smoke back in. To get more smoke, gotta stop the wheel spin before the tread goes away, make it to the pit stop and grow some new tire and getting there on the rims after leaving body parts on the wall sorta sucks ]

..sorta like putting ice on the meat loaf after it burns rather than keeping an eye on the oven temperature.

Ode