From: Ode Coyote <odecoy...@windstream.net>
To: silver-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Tue, November 6, 2012 8:03:49 AM
Subject: Re: CS>Storing water

Experiments in collecting rain water off a tin roof:
Let it rain a while to wash the roof and the air....the water came up quite
pure
at around 2 uS conductivity or less.
Probably not uniformly sterile, but cisterns have been used for potable water
for centuries. [usually made of concrete or masonry where lime might sterilize
the water]

 Back in the day:  I would tie a very large tarp by the corners to tree trunks,
cut a hole in the central sag to fill an upended open ended [with screen wire
keep out the skeeters], 275 gallon drum...spigot and hose just off the bottom.
..nice dry spot to watch it rain from and LOTS of water, very fast, even during
a light rain. [but with everything smaller than screen that was on the trees in
it ]

Inexpensive water filter [used for years and years to filter rain water caught
on the old bus roof channeled into hose line by gutters on the sides]
10 feet of 4" PVC pipe and end caps drilled and tapped to take 1/2" pipe thread
hose fittings , polyester pillow stuffing and a few pounds of activated
charcoal.

Interesting process learned last night:
A clear water bottle left in full sun with Aluminum foil on one side to reflect

concentrated sunlight back into the bottle  [parabolic mirror] will sterilize
the water in about 6 hours.
 Heat?.... and concentrated UV light.
UV lights are often installed along well to home water lines.

  Looking into water purification kits at REI...

Some had powdered Chlorine to kill everything..and..H2O2 to drive off the
Chlorine.
ie: Add H202 to tap water and wind up with water with no sterilant in it.

-Does hydrogen peroxide remove chlorine? Hydrogen peroxide can be used for
dechlorination, in other words to remove residual chlorine. Residual chlorine
forms corrosive acids when it is oxidised by air or condenses in process
systems. When chlorine reacts with hydrogen peroxide, the hydrogen peroxide
falls apart into water and oxygen. Chlorine gas hydrolyses into hypochlorous
acid (HOCl), which subsequently ionises into hypochlorite ions (OCl-).
Cl2 + H2O à HOCl + HCl à H2O + OCl-

After that, hydrogen peroxide reacts with the hypochlorite:

OCl- + H2O2 à Cl- + H2O + O2

The reaction between hydrogen peroxide and hypochlorite takes place very
quickly. Other organic and inorganic substances cannot react with hypochlorite.

Lots of info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach#Color_safe_bleach

Boiling for water sterilizationBoiling can be used as a method of water
disinfection but is only advocated as an emergency water treatment method, or
as
a method of portable water purification in rural or wilderness settings without
access to a potable water infrastructure. Bringing water to the boil is
effective in killing or inactivating most bacteria, viruses and pathogens.
Boiling is the most certain way of killing nearly all microorganisms. According
to the Wilderness Medical Society[1], water temperatures above 160°F (70°C)
kill
all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185°F (85°C) within a few minutes. So
in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212°F or 100°C)
from 160°F (70°C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude. To be
extra safe, let the water boil rapidly for one minute, especially at higher
altitudes since water boils at a lower temperature.[1]

Silver, copper and zinc are all metals that will kill micro-organisms at very
low concentrations.
Hydronium [H3], an acidic byproduct of electrolysis will sterilize water at low
concentrations as well..and..it neutralizes after a while as it finds the
counterpart also produced, or both bubble off.
 Warm up that water in the sun to help de-gass it.
Got a car battery, [solar panel?  Bicycle with old style generator?] some old
galvanized pipe or copper wire and some jumper cables  ?

Ode

Ode