Trem wrote:

> Here's what Ivan had to say on the subject some time ago.
> "Well, I was bound to comment on the ionic vs elemental colloid thread
> eventually...
>
> Firstly the idea that silver ions precipitate out in the alimentary
> tract, and never make it to the blood stream, is pure speculation.

I agree.  Silver chloride has a solubility of ,89 ppm in water at room
temperature, and is higher than that at body temperature, and when in
concentrated hydrochloric acid.

When the AgCl crosses the stomach lining into the blood stream, it should
quickly react with traces of ammonia in the blood producing a silver ammonia
complex Ag(NH3)2+, which will be soluble.  So what I would expect when taking
EIS is:

1. The particulate portion that is sufficient small quickly gets transported
into the blood stream.
2. The ionic portion forms AgCl, with any in excess of something greater than
.89 ppm, precipitating.
3. That portion of AgCl that is dissolved will pass through the stomach wall.

4. The AgCl in the blood stream will react with any ammonia in the blood
forming the silver ammonia complex, which will be readily soluble.
5. As the dissolved AgCl leaves the stomach, the remaining AgCl that
precipitated out dissolves to maintain the stomach contents at the saturation
level of AgCl until all is either dissolved, or the remainder transported to
the intestines.

As far as the disposition of the Silver Ammonia Complex, I am not sure.  It
is likely either expelled as such by the kidneys or liver, or reduces onto
the silver particles enlarging them slightly.

Marshall