The last I heard, computers are spied upon because of the language the
computer is generating.  Why would the government care about the guy
that "picks up garbage"?

Richard Loosemore wrote, Wed, Oct 25, 2006:
The word "trapdoor" is a reference to trapdoor algorithms that allow
computers to be spied upon.

If you feet guilty about something then you will feel that your
ethical values are being compromised.
Technology is without a doubt the age of the future  If you have
posted, said or done, chances are if will come and haunt you.
The only way to change the algorithms is to change the thoughts.

Just my thoughts, let me know what you think.
Anna:)

On 10/25/06, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Anna Taylor wrote:
> On, Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:11 R. Loosemore wrote:
>> What I have in mind here is the objection (that I know
>> some people will raise) that it might harbor some deep-seated animosity
>> such as an association between human beings in general and something
>> 'bad' that happened to it when it was growing up ... we would easily be
>> able to catch something like that if we had a trapdoor on the
>> motivational system.
>
> I'm not clear what you meant, could you rephrase?
> I understood, what I have in mind is a trapdoor of the motivational
> system:)
> Do you think motivation is a key factor that generates
> singularity-level events?
> Am I understanding properly?
>
> Just curious
> Anna:)

Anna,

The word "trapdoor" is a reference to trapdoor algorithms that allow
computers to be spied upon:  I meant it in a similar sense, that the AI
would be built in such a way that we could (in the development stages)
spy on what was happening in the motivational system to find out whether
the AI was developing any nasty intentions.

The purpose of the essay was to establish that this alternative approach
to creating a "friendly" AI would be both viable and (potentially)
extremely stable.  It is a very different approach to the one currently
thought to be the only method, which is to prove properties of the AI's
goal system mathematically .... a task that many consider impossible.
By suggesting this alternative I am saying that mathematical proof may
be impossible, but guarantees of very strong kind may well be possible.

As you probably know, many people (including me) are extremely concerned
that AI be developed safely.

Hope that helps,

Richard Loosemore

http://v2.listbox.com/member/[EMAIL PROTECTED]