Erich Focht wrote:
>> First issue is that I have to manually create the file
>> /etc/systemconfig/systemconfig.conf in my image, I'm not using the
>> OSCAR-way to create images (via systeminstaller), I'm just using the
>> "standard" way of using systemimager, cloning the image from a golden
>> client. But this is not a critical problem, I'm trying to write a simple
>> UYOK-based script to automatically generate the file with the
>> appropriate kernel, initrd and append string. This script will be used
>> by si_prepareclient.
>>
>> Anyway here is my systemconfig.conf file:
>>
>> -----------------------------
>> [BOOT]
>> ROOTDEV = /dev/systemvg/rootlv
>> BOOTDEV = /dev/hda
>> DEFAULTBOOT = linux
>>
>> [KERNEL0]
>> LABEL = linux
>> PATH = /boot/vmlinuz
>> INITRD = /boot/initrd
>> -----------------------------
>
> This is fixed now in trunk. Maybe you want to check.

Thanks Erich! It seems to work very well now. I'd like to include my
UYOK-based script soon in systemimager to automagically generate the
systemconfig.conf in the image using the golden-client approach.

> Can you quantify how much time longer the systemconfigurator step takes?
> I re-added zipl support such that all tests succeed now, again. Maybe that's
> also a problem.

I use a virtual machine (with vmplayer) for my tests, so maybe the
latencies that I see are not so meaningful using a real hw environment.

Anyway, a typical installation using the standard BOEL kernel+initrd.img
and a ~650MB image needed 3-4min, now I need 8min, but repeating my
tests I've found that it's not a systemconfigurator issue... it's the
pci-automod overhead. I think we can work and spend some time to
optimize it, but it's not a critical problem for now, the advantages of
pci-automod respect to discover are huge, so I would consider this
overhead a minor side effect.

Thanks,
-Andrea