On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 09:23 +1200, Andrej wrote:
> Chances are
> http://www.mail-archive.com/sisuite-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05546.html
> helps ... :)
>
> On 1 May 2013 23:58, Vanush Misha <mi...@cs.nuim.ie> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've followed instructions in Olivier's and Yann's emails
> > (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30699920 and
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30669672), but
> > now an attempt to install systemimager-server on a (Debian Wheezy
> > server) with "apt-get install systemimager-server" fails with unmet
> > dependencies:
> >
> > "The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > systemimager-server : Depends: mkisofs but it is not installable
> >  Depends: systemconfigurator (>= 2.2.11) but it is not installable"
> >
> > (there are also some unmet "Recommends").
> >
> > Before I break my server, does anyone know can I safely force the
> > package in place?
> >
> > On a separate note: where can I get sources used to build
> > systemimager-related .deb packages?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Misha

I may have begun this thread a while back - hard to tell now, but I was
instructed to pull debs from the OSCAR site. I too ran into a bunch of
dependency issues. Seriously to the point of thinking about doing a new
SI completely (well, to fit my needs anyway). Still don't have a working
SI install (it's missing GRUB2 support anyway, so it's not all that
useful to me anyway as it turns out)

Anyone here want to work on a new SI with me? I see the following for
Si2:

* apache served kernel / fat initramfs via iPXE and http
* cgi based system w/iPXE scripting that determines what image to load
based on MAC
* use udp-cast with streamed cpio and crc32 to verify integrity

The fat initramfs will have all the tools needed to get more tools from
the server via curl or wget. The server will house scripts to accomplish
certain tasks that can be easily definable. the client will pull these
and the definitions. The initramfs will just spin doing tasks, rather
than switch_root.

could even do emdebian as a small iscsi-based boot image rather than
just a fat initramfs, although not sure what that would buy.

Thoughts? Is it worth it, or is making SI work without hair pulling
simpler? Honestly, I'm jonesin' to do the new one if anyone is into it.

Regards,
-C