> On 13 Nov 2014, at 9:00 am, slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
>

> So I got my hands on two Intel Nuc's for work (nice toys - small and
> quiet), and that other OS everyone seems to love didn't want to
> install on the USB "disk" which was stuck in them, the decision was
> made to go to Linux.
>
> A bit of research showed me that Ubuntu was about the only install
> which would painlessly go onto these things (after a BIOS upgrade), so
> despite my habitual distaste for Ubuntu, I downloaded a copy and
> installed it on the first one - all cool, boots up, able to customise
> it to do what I want, cool bananas.
>
> This is where is gets weird. I then proceeded to copy the USB key
> being used a disk using DD (to save having to customise the second one
> all over again). All apparently worked, both keys booted the box no
> worries - so I took one of them and stuck it into the second Nuc.
>
> And it flat out refused to boot. Nada. Get nicked.
>
> I thought I must have stuffed up the image - but both disks booted the
> first device fine.
>
> After scratching my head for a few hours and trying every BIOS option
> I could find, I decided to try a fresh install from the CD onto the
> new device - and stuff me if it didn't work.
>
> Now I'm at the point where one "disk" will boot on one device but not
> on the other.
>
> Has anyone come across this before? Is it something specific to
> Ubuntu, or is it the stupid "SecureBoot" crap (which was turned off,
> by the way) they put into the BIOS for these things doing *something*
> to the "disk" to make the second device not recognise it?
>
> Not really an issue, because I've fixed them so they both boot now -
> but I'm intensely curious as to *why* this happened.

I’ve booted ubuntu, suse and arch on the atom, i3 and i5 versions. It’s easy
but fiddly …

First start with a blank disk. I dd if=/dev/zero because the efi partition is a
bitch. I *have* dualbooted Win7 and linux but it is really not easy (I do the
same install multiple times, it sometimes works)
I’ve read, but not tried, that you must install from mem stick, cd rom will not
work.

I was not able to get legacy bios to work, BUT Win7 won’t install in EFI mode
so some crazyness here:

Boot <F2> to get bios, drag Mem Stick entry to top of boot list, <f10> to save,
then boot

I partition the disk: 100M EFI bios partition, 5000M /, 70% rest /home leaving
a 20% hole for flash (on my flash versions)

Install normally.
If you want to install ThatOS then they have a tool to make a USB stick
installer.
On the i3 and i5 it would not boot without a bios upgrade which I did by
download from intel, to a USB stick then upgrade at boot time from USB stick
(yes it does offer internet update, no that did not work for me).

James